It is the truth universally acknowledged that a startup owner in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a developers’ team to help their application make the biggest splash in the IT world. Post-pandemic app boom has ushered in a new era of web development — where mobile applications emerge practically every day, urging programmers to compete.
Flutter web development is also boosting — and our article will help you get the gist of what’s going on — and how to hire Flutter developers with lightning speed. Bite in!
Here, you will puzzle out:
- What is Flutter, and what benefits help this development kit to stand out;
- Which work belongs to Flutter developers’ scope;
- What is a Flutter web developer’s role in the IT company;
- Why hiring a Flutter engineer is a good idea for young tech startups;
- How much does it cost to hire Flutter developers?
- What skills are vital for an excellent Flutter developer?
- What are the seven steps separating you from finding a Flutter developer for hire?
Let’s find out!
Why is Flutter development the next big thing?
First of all, let’s clarify what’s Flutter — and then we’ll explain why it’s so important to learn and use it in web development nowadays.
Flutter refers to two essential things:
- SDK (Software Development Kit): A tool collection for app development and compiling your code for iOS or Android;
- Framework (widget-based UI library): A collection of reusable UI elements (sliders, buttons, text inputs, etc.) that you can personalize for your needs.
Flutter was created by Google and released in May 2017.
It is used for developing cross-platform apps for Android, Linux, iOS, Mac, Windows, and the web.
Flutter developers write code on Dart front-end language. Google created it in 2011. It has been substantially upgraded over the last few years for an even better user experience.
Ten significant benefits of Flutter
- This language is easy to learn thanks to clear syntax.
- There is a lot of helpful documentation for Flutter since Google invests a lot in it;
- Dart is very stable, so that it can be used for top real-time applications;
- Dart can compile code AOT (ahead of time) and JIT (just in time), so the developer can watch their progress live;
- Flutter allows the developing apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and Linux using a single codebase;
- Dynamic library of customizable widgets and stateful hot reload make app development with Flutter easy and fast;
- Deep customization gives users ultimate control of every animation, widget, rendering, and gesture;
- Extended dev community enables continuous development and learning;
- Debugging with Flutter is also much easier — when you have clear guides and documents, sometimes just checking it out suffices.
Companies using Flutter:
- The New York Times
- Google Assistant
What is a Flutter developer, and what is their scope of work?
To summarize, Flutter developers are web specialists using Flutter to write code.
Depending on their experience level, Flutter engineers can be divided into three groups: juniors, middles, and seniors.
Junior best Flutter developers usually have around a year of experience in the Flutter environment and probably some experience in other programming languages. All they can do is mostly complete simple projects and write efficient code fragments (united by middle & seniors into a coherent and functioning app). With the necessary teaching, they can grow into middles and achieve much more.
Middle and senior Flutter engineers
Flutter programmers of this kind have 2-3 years of hands-on experience with Flutter and a minimum of 4-5 years of coding in other languages. They can think over the complete Flutter-based app and employ all the needed business logic elements to turn the ideas into life.
Now that we’ve got things straight with Flutter experience, let’s enumerate the vital skills you’d love to hire for Flutter engineers.
Vital Flutter engineer skills
- Dart and Flutter proficiency;
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin, Swift, or some other programming language;
- Familiarity with Agile principles;
- Extensive experience with version control systems (Git);
- Ability to write concise code and optimize it;
- Aptitude in different architectural patterns;
- Knowledge of SQL;
- Soft/social skills, English proficiency.
Aside from building Flutter-based apps, a Flutter developer should be able to…
- Review their code, polish it, and make it clear and short;
- Fix all the accidental issues;
- Curiously research new technologies and approaches of the Flutter world.
Why hire a Flutter developer?
Every novice entrepreneur’s dream is to reach the MVP stage — either to start rolling the app out and collecting feedback or to reach out to investors — or just to feel that those sleepless nights weren’t in vain. One of the surest ways to develop your app quickly and show it to venture funds ASAP is to use Flutter (used by 42% of startup app developers).
Here are the four essential reasons why:
- Flutter allows for cross-platform development, so you don’t have to code two different apps (one for iOS and one for Android);
- One dev is enough for the simple Flutter-based MVP (cuts your expenses dramatically!);
- Flutter-based cross-platform apps remain quick (you won’t notice the difference between a native and a cross-platform one);
- It’s just beautiful: the Flutter widget library is enormous, so you’ll never feel short of useful trinkets.
How much does it cost to hire Flutter developers?
That’s a broad question — it may be too broad, but we won’t fret and will try at least to show the options.
As a startup owner, you can choose a hiring model from several affordable and accessible variants.
If you hire onsite full-timers, you will pay them a monthly salary plus taxes, insurance, medical compensations, and I don’t know how many other obligatory payments. Notice that for full-timers, their employers should pay a fixed sum, no matter how many actual working hours they manage to have in a given month.
If you can’t afford to search for staff for too much time, you can employ the outsource/outstaff scheme. Either you hire someone else’s employees hourly, or you buy out the whole team and pay them all a salary once a month.
Hiring remote Flutter developers saves the day and much expense for young startups with ambitious plans and unclear final demands.
Essentially, there are two ways to hire offshore Flutter devs: using bidding marketplaces and addressing vetting talent platforms. They are different in everything related to triage and client services but very much alike in the hiring model. For both kinds of venues, you hire devs on an hourly basis.
Different regions of the world may have different price models and numbers. Flutter developers in the USA are more expensive than web engineers from Europe or Latin America, which doesn’t mean they are less qualified.
Now that we’ve sorted out everything about skills and hiring models let’s present seven crucial steps to help you to hire Flutter developers easily and quickly.
Three steps to hiring Flutter developers
Compose a clear job description
To hire new specialists with an experience in Flutter ASAP, you should compose a clear-cut job description you will post on job boards. Apart from using it for seeking purposes, you can employ it for structuring your thoughts about demands, requirements, and responsibilities.
What are the necessary elements of a proper job description?
- Job brief;
- Role and its responsibilities;
- Bonuses and benefits of the job.
We at Lemon.io have composed 40+ job description templates for all possible stacks and roles in the IT world — including job briefs, role & responsibilities, bonuses, and many more.
Find the right candidates
Either you hire Flutter devs yourself, or you address marketplaces or agencies. Hiring yourself, you should test and screen candidates. Not all people have the skills to do this; not all startups have an HR department that can help. You can address bidding or vetting platforms for help if that’s your situation.
Bidding platforms (Upwork, Freelancer) work by the reverse auction principle: the lesser your rate, the more chances you have to get hired. That’s good for startup owners since they can find relatively cheap options. However, no strong Middles or Seniors will look for jobs on Upwork, so if you need qualification, here’s one more variant.
Vetting talent platforms (Lemon.io) have a few departments of specialists who pre-check and pre-screen candidates so that they can pick up the best options tailored to your needs. Their vetting process consists of four stages:
- Online reviews and professional networks check (Git commits, LinkedIn);
- Soft skills interview (remote work experience, time management);
- English language proficiency (to collaborate with Western clients);
- Technical skills interview.
What can hard skills interview questions for Flutter devs look like?
- Why did you pick Flutter technology?
- Explain your experience in web and mobile development.
- What is Dart, and what are its benefits?
- Why should we employ three folders inside Flutter projects?
- How does Flutter stand out from other development technologies?
- What do you mean by Scopedmodel?
- Tell me about the best way to ensure consistent formatting in a Flutter.
- What are the core features of Flutter SDK?
- Explain the different types of streams.
Sign the contract
If you’re hiring Flutter app development aces for a long time, you need to sign a contract with all the necessary clauses on code ownership and NDAs.
Flutter is surely becoming the next big thing in app development. Why is it so — we’ve tried to explain in this article. If your app needs Flutter framework developers to conquer the world — you already know where and how to find and hire them. So, godspeed — and may the best Flutter specialists turn your dreams into reality.
Need something more? Here's a FAQ!
Is Flutter in demand?
Flutter is a relatively new framework, but it is becoming increasingly popular and in demand among developers. Here are some reasons for the demand boost:
– high performance;
– code reusability;
– fast-growing app market;
– constant Google support.
Is it hard to find Flutter developers?
Finding experienced Flutter developers can be challenging, as the framework is relatively new. Fewer developers have experience using it than established frameworks such as React Native or Xamarin. However, the demand for Flutter developers is proliferating as more companies adopt the framework for mobile app development, so it’s becoming less difficult to find them.
What are the benefits of hiring Flutter developers in Ukraine?
Ukrainian Flutter devs (just like Ukrainian web engineers specializing in other frameworks and languages) are cost-effective, skillful, and English-speaking. Besides, Ukraine can boast a large pool of developers (so you can find various employees up to your liking), and Ukrainian devs can visit the EU with no visas (so they often attend international conferences and are aware of all the new tendencies.
Why do enterprises need Flutter developers?
The reasons can be multifarious. Some of the core ones include:
– high performance;
– cross-platform development options;
– hot reload feature of Flutter;
– easiness of elegant apps development;
– growing app market.
How to choose a perfect Flutter developer?
Choosing a perfect Flutter developer can be challenging, but there are several things that companies can do to ensure they find the right person for the job:
1. Look at their experience
2. Check and analyze their professional portfolio
3. Assess their coding skills
4. Communicate with them to check their communication skills
5. Choose them to be flexible and quickly adaptable to new trends and technologies.