It’s always good to have a wide range of choices. The more alternatives you have, the better choice you can make. Right? No.
This is a lie marketers tell you to sell more goods.
In reality, when it comes to SaaS development, you want to have just a few good options to choose from. You don’t want to fumble and juggle dozens of small choices. You want your app built.
Instead, you get stuck deciding whom and when to hire. In-house devs are good, but too expensive. Development agencies are good but slow and even more expensive. Freelancers are affordable but risky.
Enough of this.
We created Lemon as the ultimate place to hire developers of all sorts. We are the Alpha and the Omega. SaaS development begins and ends with us.
Read on, and we will show you why.
Where to find SaaS developers
Typical options that rarely work for startups
In-house developers could be your best bet. Most likely, you’d hire them from your cultural environment, which would minimize communication problems and cultural barriers. Your HR department would select the best candidates, passionate about SaaS development and motivated to build your product. You’d work with a well-worked, organized team of professionals.
If only it was not so DAMN expensive.
SaaS developer salary is something that can ravage your budget. See for yourself:
This is not to mention hidden expenses that come with hiring in-house developers:
Now you might say, «Okay, I get it. But what about SaaS development companies?»
To get the idea of what it’s like to work with a development company, think of this:
- Development companies employ in-house developers (all of the above applies). The company will budget all the expenses stemming from this fact into the price for building your SaaS app.
- Companies usually charge you for every breath you take in their presence. Okay, no, but be prepared to pay for whatever small service you ask of them. It’s perfectly normal –– it’s just the matter of affordability.
- Companies rarely grant you access to the development team. Most likely, your only contact person will be a project manager. You will have little control over the development process.
Good thing there is always a choice. If you are a startup with a limited budget, and your need for extra hands on the project is dire, you should consider hiring freelance developers.
There are many arguments for working with independent developers. Here are just some of them:
What it’s like to work with freelance developers
- Unlike in-house devs or companies, freelance developers are always affordable –– especially if you hire overseas.
- When working with freelancers, you pay only for the actual job they do. No hidden expenses, commissions, or taxes.
- Whatever it is that you need to do, you will find a developer with the appropriate combination of skills and technologies.
- You can discuss changes to the project on the fly! Development with freelancers is more flexible.
- Direct communication with the developer minimizes the chances of human error. It’s the luxury you rarely have access to when working with in-house devs or development companies –– there’s always a manager between you and the devs.
It is true that there are some disadvantages to working with freelancers. If you hire freelance developers on regular bidding platforms, you might run into some obstacles.
- Freelancers usually won’t love and cherish your SaaS brainchild as much as you do. In the best case scenario a freelancer will just do what you asked.
- Freelancers are easy to find but difficult to hire. You will find them on platforms such as Upwork or Freelancer.com in a couple of minutes. Then you can spend weeks browsing profiles, evaluating, interviewing, and trying to find «the One.»
- No responsibility. If a freelancer disappears mid-project or turns out to be incompetent for the job, it’s your problem. Maybe, you will win back a refund. But no one will return your wasted time.
- Culture barriers, different time zones, bad English, sloppy job – these are some typical problems you will run into when working with freelance developers.
Where to find
For a truly amazing experience with the freelance developers, you need to know proper hiring places.
Forget about job boards or bidding platforms. There, you will have to everything manually:
- browsing through profiles and portfolios
- interviewing candidates, evaluating their performance
- contacting each potential candidate or look through hundreds of bids (if searching on bidding platforms)
- in case you could not find SaaS developer who’d match your expectations – rinse and repeat.
Instead, you should be looking in the direction of the freelance platforms for vetted developers. There, talent acquisition managers do all the checks in advance. So, when you contact such a platform, they already have a developer candidate whose skills were verified, and who is safe to work with.
There are many vetting platforms out there. We will tell you about the one we know best.
Lemon is the perfect place to hire SaaS developers.
SaaS implies regular updates, tweaks, improvements, new features, and testing. SaaS products require dedication. It’s all about searching for a perfect solution, delivering maximum value within the shortest possible time.
We look for this kind of mindset when testing our candidates. This is why you can be sure your project is in the good hands when you hire SaaS developers on Lemon.io.
You don’t need SaaS experience to hire a good dev
If it’s the first time you hire SaaS developers, you might have questions:
- What technologies should a SaaS dev know?
- How do I know I’ve found a good developer?
- Is there anything special I should know about SaaS development?
Relax. We already took care of all that. Lemon devs know working with the SaaS model like the back of their hands.
You can start building your SaaS app tomorrow
On other platforms, it takes days or even weeks to find SaaS developer suitable for the job.
On Lemon, it takes 24 hours tops.
We are pretty sure we have the fastest and the most precise matching among our competitors.
We already took care of the hiring routines
When hiring yourself, you have to manually look through the candidates’ resumes and portfolios. You also have to design test assignments, evaluate performance, and interview developers.
No guarantees that you’d find SaaS developer fast this way, if at all.
When you hire Saas developers from Lemon, you just click a button. All the checks, tests, evaluations, and interviews have already happened before this moment.
This is called vetting, and it’s the reason we are so confident about our developers.
Don’t break your piggy bank just yet
It does not have to be expensive to hire SaaS developers who know their drill. You just got to know where to look.
Lemon SaaS devs are eager to work for $40-50.
Whom do you choose?
Ihor is a great full-stack developer with a rocksolid educational base and skills. Ihor’s good soft skills ensure that you will enjoy professional communication with him.
- Java back end
Now that’s a person who never takes shortcuts, never seeks easy ways, and thrives on supercomplicated tasks. Andriy is the kind of developer who’s «been here, done that.»
Ilya is a great senior front end developer with solid experience. He has a unique ability to easily explain tech stuff to customers. Ilya is your guy!
- AntDesign UI library
Piece of cake!
- We have a $12/h commission and that’s it, no other fees
- as most of our developers live in Eastern Europe, their costs of living are about 40% lower than in the United States
- our maintenance costs are mostly salaries
- Lemon is a small team of 17 enthusiasts working remotely. You don’t pay for our office or corporate parties
- We don’t have enormously bloated marketing budgets either
- Super-low overhead expenses allow us to charge less than we probably should.
It should be SSSaaS development
As in, «Super-Safe Software as a Service development.»
Lemon.io is a Ukrainian company registered in the United States as a Delaware C-Corp. This makes us subject to the American laws: our terms and conditions, and all of our activities fully comply with the laws of the US.
Every freelance developer working under our T&C automatically agrees to keep any of your project-related (or other information) in secret.
Lemon.io transfers all the intellectual property rights to you, once you pay for the work our developers do for you.
As an additional safety layer, if you don’t like working with the developer we assigned to your project, we will substitute them free of charge.
Oh thee in the need of building a SaaS product,
Oh tired pilgrim who wandered high and low,
Put thy tired lips into the invigorating fountain of Lemon.io.
Let us quench thy thirst for high quality SaaS development,
Let us match thee with some of the best SaaS developers out there
For the rates more affordable than thee dared to wish.
For we are Lemon,
We are here to assist thee in thy quest
To build ass-kicking SaaS products, oh pilgrim.